Friday, October 17, 2014

Messy plates, heavenly dish.

The only way to get more time to study for your midterms is to go out and eat (I know this doesn't make sense but preparing ingredients and making lunch takes a lot of time too!)—sorry mum, I promise this is my first and one and only (because #student$problem).

Last year Summer, my Egyptian friend, Mo, brought Anne and I to this wonderful shawarma place called Shawarma Palace. I've never had shawarma so I was particularly excited to try one out. We walked into this place and it was WOW—one of the most well maintained and fancy "fast food" restaurant I've ever been to in Ottawa!


And there I was again today. I have recommended this restaurant to Alex ever since last year Summer, but we have yet to find time to visit so we decided to go today because I had to leave home in a few hours to write my midterm at school anyway. 


Kaboom. Restaurant still as pretty as ever.


We then walked over to the order station and looked up at the menu. With my quick little math mind, I calculated the price of 2 chicken shawarma(s)—$10.50 in total, $5.25 each. But I liked the roasted potatoes, so if we had to get a small side of $4.69-ish, it'd be about $15.19 in total. Then I looked over to the customer in front of us who ordered a chicken shawarma plate, priced $12.75 (approx.). Holy shawarma. It was a huge plate and absolutely perfect for two (or even three!) people to share! So I quickly told Alex about it and we decided to go with the chicken shawarma plate.


DO NOT LET THE MESSY PLATING MESS WITH YOUR HEAD. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST FOOD I'VE EVER HAD IN AWHILE. 

What's on the plate?
  • Roasted chicken
  • White rice (you can also change it to brown rice)
  • Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, pink radish, etc.)
  • Roasted potatoes
  • Hummus & some garlic sauce I believe
  • Two shawarma bread at the side
I absolutely agree it was hard to take the food out of the plate and stuff it into the shawarma bread but take your time and do it slowly. It's worth the patience. It was absolutely delicious and honestly, it was too big of a dish for even two of us who eat a lot. So if you really want to try out something new with your friends, especially when food taste, price, and place ambience are factors you take into consideration when going to a restaurant, I highly recommend Shawarma Palace.

This particular restaurant is located by Bank/Hunt Club. To Ottawans, get to Greenboro/South Keys station, and take the 1 bus towards Rockcliffe, and get off at Bank/Hunt Club. Alternatively, you can take the 98, 114, or 143, and get off at Hunt Club/Bank and walk across the street to get there.

If you live around downtown, I believe they have two other franchise locations. Check out http://www.shawarmapalace.ca/menu.html! :) Not really sure if they've updated their menu in a while, but the Hunt Club branch offers a small selection of non Lebanese food as well (e.g. chicken wings, etc.)


Till next time,

x.

No comments:

Post a Comment