Sunday, March 30, 2014

Have you ever made an IMPACT?

Bonjour!

So here's an update on my last Friday night! It was an event hosted by UNICEF & Free The Children, Carleton University's two of the most well-known philanthropic organisations on campus :) A few days prior to the event, I was given the opportunity to design the poster & ticket. What do you think?



I made use of Photoshop, & spent about 2-3 hours creating them! Although it was really tiring (with my eyes super strained by the end), I'm still glad I got this chance to improve on my designing and creativity skills. Can't express how much I love art! 

Anyway, on the day itself, I arrived a little earlier to help out for set ups. I was in school earlier for hours of classes so till then, I was already pretty tired to be pumped up for something like this. But I survived, thankfully. I also had the chance to create a PREZI presentation for UNICEF & I'm glad it turned out well. Except the fact that the video wasn't working because we didn't have the original file located in the folder to be used.. We downloaded a new one but it wouldn't work because the file was too big and we didn't have time to fix up everything because the event was already starting :( I was quite disappointed that the speakers weren't working too! A perfectionist like me can't handle these glitches. But it was alright, I guess. My apologies to UNICEF.

After the UNICEF presentation, it was of course, my favourite part. DINNER TIME (yay!)
So I sat @ table 6, with my lovely date, Alex & a few other girl volunteers from UNICEF. Also, not to forget, my lovely ex-roommate Michelle, Director of Volunteers & Sustainability, who was busy running around making sure everything was alright! So much love for that girl <3

It was a 3-course meal, but I had to leave early because Alex worked the next morning, so we only got to get a 2-course meal- which I was pretty frustrated about hehehe because.. Who doesn't want desserts?! But it's alright I guess, it was pretty late & dark out, and I didn't have a car to drive home with so.. Thankfully the salad and main course were delicious!


Butter bread & Caesar salad.



The oh-so-delicious chicken breast covered parsley rice with cream of mushroom dressing, the most delicious baked-potatoes I've ever had, and some greens.

.. You cannot believe it. I actually finished the entire plate. I literally felt like a pregnant superwoman.


Wishes for the event.
p.s. Realized I made a mistake on the lyrics but I guess it made sense too haha!


Fruit Punch.



Samiya, Reema, Alex & I.


Alex & I. 
For some reason... My eyes always look small in photos. Or maybe they are really small. *Dislikes.


Lastly, my favourite photo of the night & favourite selfie as of now too :)
Thanks for being there with me, in everything ♥

So yeah! I guess that's it about the food part. In between dinner were a bunch of speeches by other organisations that we invited to the event- OxFam, Engineers Without Borders and World University Service of Canada; which were all very inspiring by the way. Do check them out online if you can! Also, there was a dance floor at the end (that lasted till midnight, apparently), but I wasn't there so I don't have any updates on that but I'm pretty sure it was fun :) 

That concluded my night and I guess overall, it was alright for me as I was pretty tired & there wasn't really anything fancy about it. Wished it started earlier & that I spent more time with other people, but it's alright :) It's all for a great cause, so it's all goooood!

**

Proceeds from this event will go to buying water pumps for communities that need them (by UNICEF)
If you wanna help individually, you can go to http://tap.unicefusa.org/ to be part of this!

10 minutes without touching your phone = water access for communities for a day!

x.




No comments:

Post a Comment